Sunday 17 April 2016

Block B "Blooming Period" EP Review | Dying For Drama

Annyeong!

I was fishing around for when my favourite groups were going to be releasing their comebacks this year, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Block B had already released their EP "Blooming Period", on learning this, I decided to have a listen.


The EP contains 6 songs in this order:
  • A Few Years Later
  • Toy (which is the title song)
  • It Was Love (by Taeil)
  • Walkin' In The Rain
  • Bingle Bingle (by B-BOMB and U-KWON)
  • A Few Years Later (instrumental version)
I'll start from the beginning, shall I?

- I really enjoyed "A Few Years Later". It's a perfect mix between ballad (which is a style I'm usually not attracted to in the slightest so I surprised myself there) and rap. 
- "Toy" is super catchy. It has a really nice beat to it that. Again, it has the perfect mix of a soft, ballad-like melody and rap on top which creates a clash that works perfectly together.
- "It Was Love" is pretty good...but I can't say much more. I love Taeil and I think he has a really beautiful voice, but the song in itself for me was a bit too slow and sad. Though it is beautiful, don't get me wrong. It may grow on me the more I listen to it, since it sounds like one of those songs. 
- "Walkin' In The Rain" is okay. It's nothing exceptional, and it's not the best I've heard from Block B, in my opinion. I mean, it's a good song, but nothing quite "wow!", you know? 
- I enjoyed "Bingle Bingle", though (which I maintain is such a weird name for a song and makes me chuckle every time I write it). It has a nice vibe to it and I really like that it's a bit more hip-hop than the rest of the album.
- I don't quite understand why they thought it was necessary to put in the instrumental version of "A Few Years Later" but if that floats their boat.

I enjoyed this EP. It's not spectacular-blowyoursocksoff-amazing but it's nice to listen to. I was taken aback a bit however, since I'm not used to this side of Block B - I'm more of a fan of their NalinA, Nillili Mambo-era when they were a more tough and rap/hiphop centered. Either way, good job, Block B, this one's a good'un.

I'd give this EP 3.5 kimchis out of 5.

What did you guys think of this EP? Let me know in the comments!

Fighting!
M x

No comments:

Post a Comment