Sunday 28 August 2016

Agust D 'Agust D' Mixtape Review | Dying For Drama

Annyeong!

Okay... *heavy breathing* you can keep calm... *heavy breathing* OKAY NO I CAN'T.

YOONGI FINALLY DROPPED HIS MIXTAPE. I CANNOT DEAL. OHHHH MY GOOOOSH.

It's okay, I'm fine. I'm good. I'm just very excited. So for those who are thinking "the fuck. Who the hell is Yoongi and why is his mixtape so exciting?"

Min Yoongi is the real name of BTS' Suga (my boyy!). For about two years now, he's been hinting about this mixtape that just never seemed to come. He tortured us and tortured us and made us wait for two long years, and then, all of a sudden about a month ago, Yoongi finally announced that he's releasing his mixtape in early August - and here it is!! He's decided to call himself Agust D (backwards it spells Dt Suga, Dt for Daegu town which is the rap group he was in before he came a trainee and Suga, well, because that's his rap name in BTS) instead of Suga which I can kind of understand seeing as he probably wants to show that it's not an extension of BTS, and more his music.


Can we just take a second to appreciate how his mixtape cover looks like an Instagram edit?

The mixtape has 10 songs:

1. Intro; Dt sugA (feat. DJ Friz)
2. Agust D
3. Give It To Me
4. Skit
5. 치리사일사팔 (724148)
6. 140503 새벽에 (140503 at dawn)
7. 마지막 (The Last)
8. Tony Montana (Feat. Yankie)
9. Interlude ; Dream, Reality
10. So Far Away (Feat. 수란 (SURAN))

And here's what I thought of them:

  1 - Really catchy beat. It's only short seeing as it's the mixtape's intro but gives a good taste of what's to come.

  2 - The title song of the mixtape and oohh lordy is it worth it! It’s incredible. The production is gorgeous and you can tell he’s put a lot of work into it. The lyrics are really well placed and it’s just generally a bloody great song. It’s hard-hitting and when you actually read the lyrics it’s even better. See the MV here.

  3 - This is quite different to the other songs. At first, there's just a very distorted violin, think drunk guy playing the violin. It's very catchy in any case like almost all of the songs on this mixtape, really.

  4 - Even though it's in Korean I found the translation and it's basically Yoongi talking to his brother at a cafe about the mixtape and how thankful he is for having his brother supporting him all this time.

  5 - The beat to this reminds me of 50s style ad music at the chorus which made me chuckle a bit. As for the actual song, I really like it, there's nothing particularly incredible to it but it's cool to hear him just spit some rhymes. 

  6 - This sounds basically like the previous song without the double bass (I'm guessing it's a double bass).

  7 - THIS TRACK BROKE MY HEART. I have no idea what he's saying (I prefer it that way when I listen to k-pop) but you can just hear the pain in his voice and it broke my heart. It starts and sounds like a usual hip-hop song, then it kind of all goes batshit and the beat gets insanely intense and Yoongi's rapping like his life depends on it and it's amazing! It's probably one of my favourite tracks on the mixtape. You can hear all the emotions in his voice and it's truely beautiful.

  8 - I didn't like this song as much as the others. It's got a weird feel to it that I can't quite place. It's a good song, there's no doubting that, but it just wasn't really to my taste. It sounded a bit too white-washed for my tastes.

  9 - I'm not really sure what to think about this song. There's no actual lyrics to it, just Yoongi saying "dream" at regular intervals. It's very much based on the composition and the instruments of the song.

  10 - And to finish up the whole thing, this beautiful song. I think he did really well to add Suran to sing the chorus. It adds a certain softness that wouldn't necessarily have otherwise. It's very different to anything else in the mixtape, but in a good way. It's a lot more gentle, rather than the harshness the other tracks had in the forefront of the tracks.

All in all, I'm so happy with this mixtape. It really was worth the wait! One thing that stood out for me in this whole thing is that none of the songs sound the same. They're all unique in themselves.

I'm going to give this mixtape 5 kimchis out of 5. *waves wand in an overly enthusiastic manner*

Fighting!
M x

No comments:

Post a Comment